Welcome to the Hunter Education & Firearm Safety Training home page!
I’m Wayne Schmeling and I am the lead instructor for the courses offered on this site. I am a Minnesota Department of Natural Resources certified hunter education and firearm safety training instructor.
This site is intended to enhance and improve the experience of the students in the courses I teach as well as promote the hunting and shooting sports, the ethics of our outdoors heritage, and the conservation and preservation of our natural resources.
Here’s a few quick instructions for navigating this site:
- Pages: Above the picture at the top of the page you will find links to the pages that describe the courses. Just click on a title to view that page.
- The Calendar: Well, it’s a calendar, but it also highlights the days I have made posts to this site. You can click on a highlighted day to see the posts for that day. Plus, it’s there to remind you it’s always hunting and shooting season somewhere!
- Notes from the Teacher: The most recent posts I have made to the Homework and Other Useful Stuff categories. You can click on the individual posts there.
- Homework and Other Useful Stuff: Click on a category to find the posts I have made to comment on and assist with the course work and homework for that category, listed from most recent to oldest.
- Comments or Questions: You can send me a comment or question to any page or post on this site. If I think it is useful to the rest of the community using this site I will attach your comment or question with my answer to the page or post. Just look for the comment link in every page or post to give us your input!
- Hunting, Shooting, Conservation and Preservation: This is a list of links to helpful and interesting sites related to the hunting and shooting sports. Click on them and check them out!
- Older Notes and Stuff: This is an archive that files all of the older posts by the month. You can view a month at a time.
- Hunt It Up: Like Sadie the duck dog, explore, check it out, hunt it up, and get all your ducks in a row!
The purpose of Minnesota’s Firearms Safety Hunter Education Course is:
- to prevent firearms and hunting accidents;
- to ensure the future of hunting and shooting sports through compliance with laws, regulations, and ethics;
- to emphasize the importance of wildlife management, laws, and regulations so that students will obtain a better understanding of their obligations to the resources, landowners, other hunters, and themselves.