10 Commandments of Safe Firearm Handling
- Treat every firearm as if it is loaded.
- Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
- Identify your target and what is beyond it.
- Ensure the firearm and ammunition are in good working condition and that only the correct ammunition is used.
- Store firearms and ammunition separately under lock and key, and use trigger locks.
- Always keep the action open except when actually hunting or preparing to shoot and always keep your finger off the triger except when firing.
- Never point a firearm at anything you do not want to shoot. Avoid all horseplay with a firearm.
- Never climb a fence, tree, stand, or jump a ditch without unloading your firearm.
- Never shoot at a flat hard surface or water.
- Avoid alcohol and other drugs before or during hunting and shooting.